Sunday, August 22, 2010

Preparing to Leave

So, packing for one year is turning out to be quite a daunting task, especially knowing that the clothes there don't fit me quite right and that my shoe size doesn't seem to exist in Japan, or any Asian country I've been to so far for that matter. I wear size 9 1/2-10 shoes and the largest I found in Japan and South Korea last summer was a size 8 or 8 1/2, and they were just basic shoes, not really even very cute. :( So I'm having trouble thinking of what all I might need lol.

All the same, I'm really excited to be going, but the nerves are finally starting to settle in. Every day my departure becomes more and more real. I'm losing almost an entire week because I'll be in Minnesota, but that's necessary. Then, I'll visit my grandparents in Ohio over the weekend for the last time before leaving. I'm really going to miss my Mamaw and Papaw! After that, I only have 1 1/2 weeks left in the States!! 0.0 One year is a long time to go without seeing my friends and family. I know I'll see old friends, make lots of new friends, and have a great time in Japan, but I'm just not sure how I'll feel this Christmas. It'll be my first Christmas without my family. But I'm sure my friends in Japan and at Doshisha will help me and keep me company. :) Plus, my parents are going to try to visit me at some point during the year! At least, that's the plan so far haha.

Anyway, back to the topic, but something tells me I'm going to go off on a tangent a lot on here...lol. Kyoto has four distinct seasons. The summer is muggy and really hot, occasionally reaching 100 degrees, and the air doesn't move too much due to the mountains to the North, East, and West. Winter is cold, dropping down to freezing temperatures (28 degrees was the lowest I've heard of), but not as bad as Indiana so I think I'll be alright. I can't decide if I should take my winter coat or just bring my fall jacket and wear a sweatshirt underneath... Also, it rains a lot during the rainy season, so I've heard. Not really looking forward to that after I experienced it in South Korea last year. 0.0 I've been told that fall and spring have very pleasant weather though, so I'm really looking forward to those seasons, especially the changing leaves and cherry blossoms!

I think I'm mainly going to pack clothes that can layer and be used for multiple seasons. I'm also planning to bring a variety of basic shoes to cover all occasions: tennis shoes, flip flops, snow/rain shoes (still trying to figure this one out lol), dress shoes (black, brown, and white), and maybe one or two other pairs. I think I might be over-worrying about the shoes hehe.

I have a running list of other things I'm planning to bring, but it's still changing on a daily basis. Things like a small hair dryer, my hair straightener, plenty of deodorant (because I don't think the Japanese kind is quite as strong lol), gloves, earmuffs, and scarves, my Bible, my favorite cooking spices that are only sold in the US, measuring cups and spoons, allergy medicine, etc. I don't want to bore you with my list.

Another thing I've realized...I really need to get better at the metric system! I have no idea what my height or weight is in the metric system. Also telling the temperature and cooking using the metric system is quite a challenge for me. I've really got to work on that problem...

Well, that's it for now, I need to finish packing for Minnesota and then study a little before going to bed.

Until next time,
~Bethany

3 comments:

  1. Agghh I'm starting to think of all these things too. Definitely bring spices from home! Yay for comfort food.^^
    I plan to splurge on boots for the winter. That will be my Christmas present to myself, haha. We should keep Christmas together. I've never gone through that season without my family either. I bet there will be lots of students in the same boat. I should bring some recipes, because I'm not eating no KFC on Christmas! :P
    Goodness, you have me thinking I am taking too many clothes! I was planning on bringing three winter coats. And shoes...I want to bring like 10 pairs.>< I want to have space left in my suitcase but I also want to look nice while I'm there with minimal shopping...hm.
    I'm bringing a years' supply of make-up, haha...I've heard it's expensive there and I have my own favorites I always use. Medicines and stuff from home are probably a good idea too, I've heard the Japanese brands aren't as strong to us Americans and our horse-pills.:P
    And you are studying, erai ne.^^ Since I came home from my summer job I haven't studied at all><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yay for comfort food! I'm just having a hard time deciding which spices to bring lol.
    I've already got a pair of winter boots so I'm thinking I'll just buy a basic pair of rain boots and take 2 pairs lol. It's not really working out finding a combined version that's decent.
    Well, even though I say layering, I'm probably bringing waaaaaay too many clothes as well. Something tells me I'm going to end up using almost all of my 2 suitcases + carry on...haha.
    Yea, make-up is really expensive in Japan. But, I don't have to worry about that since I don't wear make-up. (I'm too lazy lol.) :P And yea, Japanese medicine is much weaker, but I think we're only allowed to bring a limited amount through customs, though I'm not sure of the limits. I need to double check that really soon...
    But I'll look up some recipes for Christmas food that will have all the ingredients available in Japan so we can have a Christmas feast! We should do Thanksgiving too! XD But will we be able to find turkey...hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be using those nifty vaccuum bags to make my clothes fit into suitcases. Too bad there's nothing that makes shoes smaller. Sometimes I hate being a Muggle.:P
    Oh, do we have to declare medicines and such at customs? Darn, that probably means they need to be in new, sealed bottles. I wonder if I should have them in my carry-on.
    Haha, if we really wanted to, we could make a weekend trip up to the Yokosuka Navy base and go to the commissary there that sells all the American ingedients we could ever want! Though that would be a big trip just for cardamom and eggnog.^^

    ReplyDelete